Noah Dougherty
Thursday 24 September 2020

We have a fantastic Ambassador Scheme at FGR which sees our young fans, who champion the club at schools across Gloucestershire, quiz the players, answer questions themselves and even write match reports.

'Ambassadors' Corner' gives them a chance to showcase some of their work, and see their first match reports reach the public.

So, here is a kid's-eye-view of Saturday's 2-2 draw with Bradford City.


On Saturday, FGR drew 2-2 against Bradford City in an exciting match with two Bradford red cards and an FGR missed penalty.  The game was one of only seven to have a crowd watching. 

In the first 30 minutes, there were not many chances until a Bradford City player got his head on a corner only to be denied by FGR keeper Luke McGee.  At half time, the score was still 0-0.

In the 49th minute, Lee Novak scored for Bradford, but their lead did not last for long because Carl Winchester equalised to make it 1-1.

Soon after, Winchester missed a penalty. There was a bad tackle in the box and a red card was given, so Bradford were down to ten men. 

Against the odds, Bradford scored a second goal.  Soon after that, another red card was shown for Bradford. 

With the away team now down to nine men, FGR were looking confident but they didn’t score until the 96th minute. There was a breakthrough from Aaron Collins and the final score was 2-2.



My name is Roo, I’m 11, and I love being an ambassador at Forest Green Rovers.

The match was played under the clouds of the Covid virus, but well-planned social distancing and a well thought out entry and exit plan allowed an extra 500 or so spectators in.  

After the kick-off, Forest Green pushed the ball up the pitch, pressuring Bradford City.

Two free kicks quickly went Forest Greens way, setting the tone for the game, before two corners for Rovers came to nothing. 

A corner for Bradford City presented an opportunity, but it was safely taken by our goalie, Luke McGee.

Rovers showed promise, and the pressure was there, but the finish never materialised. The up and down game continued until the half time whistle blew.

The second half started much as the first half had gone with both teams making breaks mainly down the right wing. Bradford nearly scored but some frantic defending kept it out.

Eventually after a short period of pressure Bradford put the ball in the back of the Rovers net.

Rovers renewed their pressure with Bradford putting up a dogged and sometimes scrappy defence, which eventually gave Carl Winchester the opening to make it one all.

Bradford playing the long ball down the right wing made it two one soon after.

Rovers seemed to be applying pressure to no avail, when they were awarded a penalty after a nasty foul in the Bradford box. Down to ten men Bradford were vigorous in their protest with the referee but the penalty stood.

The fans held their breath and then held their heads in their hands as the shot nudged the outside of the post and slid away. Bradford then scored a shock goal, as a free-kick from the left went straight in.

Ebou Adams, tussling hard for the ball, came in for a nasty and unprovoked attack off the ball which sent him backwards over the hoarding. The referee gave an immediate red card despite being surrounded by Bradford players.

Despite being down to nine players Bradford were dogged in defence playing the ball out down the right wing and then attempting to smother the game. Forest Green broke well again and again but the game seemed to be slipping away.

Seven minutes of added time seemed to perk them up and the constant pressure finally paid off in the 97th minute when Collins slid the ball in. The crowd responded well and the FGR players celebrated well which earnt Collins a yellow card. The whistle blew soon after with the match at 2-2.



I’m Thomas, a Year 9 Forest Green Rovers Ambassador for John of Gaunt School in Trowbridge.

Since March, it has been very hard not being able to watch FGR, so I have been passing my time by playing FIFA 20 against my friends, as Forest Green.

On Saturday morning I was very excited to go back to the New Lawn and to see all the new players. It was a very strange feeling on arrival, having to wear a mask and getting our temperature checked.

The first half was not the most exciting apart from a fantastic save from Luke McGee.

The second half couldn’t have been more different, as there was a lot of action in a short period.

After going behind we got back into the game really quick and should of taken the lead as Carl Winchester missed a penalty.

Sadly, we made lots of mistakes similar to last season and were losing 2 -1 going into stoppage time.

We had so many chances, and finally, in the 96th minute, Aaron Collins scored a volley from 12 yards and it ended 2-2 with a deserved point.

With the amount of chances we had, and with Bradford going down to 9 men, we should have won the game.



It was a sunny day at FGR for the first home game of the season, and I was pleased to be there.

FGR started fast and in the first half had the most shots at the goal, Jamille Matt and Aaron Collins had the best chances to score a goal but at half time it was still 0-0.

At the start of the second half Bradford had a shot and the goalkeeper dropped the ball for the Bradford striker to tap it in.

Ten minutes later, FGR got a free kick. Carl Winchester took it, and scored.

Then, two minutes later, Bradford had a player sent off for pulling Ebou Adams over but Winchester missed the penalty.

Bradford then scored again from a free kick to make it 1-2.

Bradford then had another man sent off for pushing Adams over the fence.

FGR kept trying to score and, in the last minute, Aaron Collins scored a top bin goal to make it 2-2.



I am Kit. I like football and I am ten years old. I live in Kingswood near Wotton-Under-Edge, and I am an ambassador for FGR. I get to represent the club at my school. I’ve been a ball boy and I’ve helped out on match days giving tickets to the directors and the players friends and family.

I went to see Forest Green vs Bradford and it was special because we got to see Forest Green again.

We had to wear face masks and have our temperature checked before we could get into the ground.

Only five hundred people were allowed into the stadium, and there were no chips.

It was an exciting game. At half time the score was 0-0, and both teams were evenly matched.

In the second half, the first goal came from Bradford when the FGR keeper dropped the ball from and Lee Novak scored.

FGR equalised when Carl Winchester smashed the ball under the wall from a free-kick. 

Then things got more exciting. Ebou Adams got pulled to the ground by Anthony O’Connor in the box and the Bradford defender got sent off. Surely, we couldn’t lose from here.

Winchester missed the penalty, then Bradford scored again.

Two minutes later, there was another incident. Adams had “handbags” with French the Bradford full-back. The other O’Connor, Paudie, saw red and head butted Adams.

Bradford were down to nine men with twenty minutes to play. From then on it was all Forest Green, but it looked like Bradford were going to get away with it.

In the final minute, Aaron Collins volleyed home. Amazing!



Hi, my name is Walt and I am an assistant ambassador for Thrupp Primary School.

I love FGR and I am a big fan of football.

I missed football through lockdown, but I have a playground with goals one minute away from my house in Brimscombe.

On Saturday, I was very excited to be back at The New Lawn.

My legs were shaking when it was 1-2 to Bradford City, but when it was 2-2 my legs stopped shaking.

Aaron Collins scored an amazing goal in the 96th  minute!



In the first half it was 0-0 and there were quite a lot of fouls.

In the second half, two Bradford players were given a red card. Bradford scored first then it was FGR, then Bradford again leaving the score at 2-1 to Bradford after 90 minutes.

Thankfully, an extra nine minutes were added and FGR managed to even the score.

The man of the match was number 8. I also saw Ralph there who is another supporter from my school.



My name is Tyler and I have been an ambassador for 5 years now.

During this lockdown period, I have been filling my time with lots of things, such as watching an online FIFA 20 tournament, the Quaranteam Cup which featured FGR’s Chris Stokes. I also managed to persuade my Mum to subscribe to Sky Sports, so that at least we could watch some of the Premier League on TV.

It was fantastic to get an invitation to come to the Pilot event for the match against Bradford at The New Lawn on Saturday. It was frustrating at times, but amazing when Carl Winchester’s free-kick struck the net and when Aaron Collins’ 96th-minute goal went in. The Bantams must have thought Christmas had come 97 days early, (not that I’m counting or anything.) They had two men sent off, gave away a penalty and still managed to take a point.We remain unbeaten this season!



It was great to be back at The New Lawn for the first home game of the 2020/21 season, and to see some of the new signing.

Saturday’s match was against Bradford City and was a great start with lots of running and pressing from the front with the forwards giving no time for the Bradford defence to pass the ball. 

There wasn’t much shooting happening, but a driving run from Collins, FGR’s number 10, who picked the ball up in his own half and ran directly at the Bradford City defence almost opened the scoring, but he was tackled just inside the box before he took his shot. 

The second half had lots of drama. Bradford City scored after 49 minutes, but FGR equalised when Winchester scored on 60 minutes.

Then , Anthony O’Connor for Bradford City was shown red card for a foul that gave FGR a penalty which Winchester put wide. On 66 minutes, 10-man Bradford then scored a shock goal from a free-kick that missed everyone across the goal and snuck into the corner of the net. 

There was then another red card when Bradford’s Paudie O’Connor pushed Adams over the boards into the North Stand.

It was all super tense as FGR chased a goal against nine-man Bradford. They had lots of possession but not a lot of shooting. 

BOOM, Collins struck in the 96th minute to equalise for FGR.