Matt Edwards
Monday 29 October 2018

Forest Green Rovers have been knocked out of the FA Youth Cup after a 3-1 defeat to local rivals Cheltenham Town.

Dan Ogunleye had pulled the hosts level in the 17th minute after going behind to an early Aaron Basford goal.

However, second-half strikes from Williams Dawes and Basford’s second of the game secured progression for the visitors at The New Lawn.

It took less than four minutes for the Robins to get on the scoresheet as Aaron Basford took his chance, finishing at the near post.

It was a shock to FGR’s system but they responded well, and less than 10 minutes later were presented with a chance to pull the contest back level.

A superb counter attack saw Dan Jones charge into the area before he was caught and the referee made no hesitation pointing to the spot.

Ogunleye stepped up to take the spot kick, but his right-footed shot was well saved by the Cheltenham goalkeeper Freddie Lapworth, low to his left.

It was a temporary let off for the visiting side as a nice passing move in the 17th minute saw Jones cause problems again, his defence-splitting pass finding Ogunleye, who this time made no mistake in the box, sliding the ball into the corner.

Just two minutes before the break, FGR had the chance to take the lead, Oliver Artwell running through on goal for the home side and despite a good touch from the wide man, Lapworth was able to close the angle and save behind for a corner.

Cheltenham were then saved by the woodwork on the stroke of half time, Ogunleye’s looping header going over the keeper but landing on the roof of the bar and away to safety.

However, it was the visitors who restored their goal advantage after the break, like the first half, taking just four minutes to do so.

A ball across the face of goal was initially well blocked by Will Turner, but fell kindly for Dawes to tuck home inside the six-yard box.

In the 53rd minute, Jones caused the Robins problems and was close to levelling the scores again, forcing a good save from Lapworth who could only push the powerful shot wide of the target.

At the other end, it was a good save from Yates that kept the hosts in it, Yates pulling off a fine stop from close range to deny Basford in the six-yard box.

In the 73rd minute, Cheltenham thought they had their third of the game, Basford running in behind before lobbing Yates, only to be denied by the linesman’s flag.

However, the third did come in the 77th minute as Yates pulled off a superb double save but could do little about the third shot as Basford netted his second of the game from close range.

Artwell went closest to pulling a goal back for the hosts in the last 10 minutes, his half volley dipping over the bar.