Noah Dougherty
Monday 08 October 2018

You may have noticed that in our special eight-page pullout in our matchday programme that our fantastic Ambassadors Scheme has two pages dedicated to it.

Our young fans, who champion the club at schools across Gloucestershire, quiz the players, answer questions themselves and even write match reports.

Unfortunately, not all the fantastic reports can make it into the programme, so Ambassador's Corner is a chance to show off their talents and give a kid's eye view of our last game with Newport County.


My name is Evie, I’m the ambassador for Rednock School and this is my fourth year. I’m now in year nine and being an ambassador is so much fun and I wouldn’t have been able to do as many things as I have without this opportunity, such as taking over Elsie’s role in writing in the Nailsworth News. Writing every month gives me a good idea of what’s required to be a sports journalist and I enjoy it very much. I also got nominated by Phil Butterworth for the Pride of the Cotswold awards in the Spirit of Youth category for all my great achievements and commitments to FGR.  I was runner-up in the finals and I was really, very proud. I have also completed my ambassador notice board in the girls' changing rooms, as well as putting up display posters around the school. In my library at school I put the Green Devils out for people to read. So far this season I have already completed many things on match days and have been extremely busy. On with the report:

It was a very wet, cold and gusty Saturday at The New Lawn. Mark Cooper’s unbeaten Forest Green Rovers started in fifth and Mike Flynn’s Newport County in third, it was going to be a great derby. As I sat behind a very excited Alderman Knight School, I had a great view of the action. The game started with a dominant display from FGR, a powerful strike from Carl Winchester hitting the post and missing the net by inches. Soon after, Dayle Grubb’s cross did find the back of the net, although it had a little help from Scot Bennett of Newport.

Newport’s top scorer of last season then scored his second goal in 12 games to level it. A few minutes before the break, Reuben Reid had a good opportunity to put FGR in the lead once again, but unfortunately his belter of a shot hit the crossbar. Both sides came out for the second half looking for a win. FGR were the first to have a go at goal, but Liam Shephard’s follow-up from Grubb’s effort was blocked. Both teams evenly fought until Reid’s handball (or ball to hand as we saw it) in the box earned Newport a penalty. Luckily for us the ball went flying over the stand all the way to the Five Valleys, I think that was the biggest cheer of the game.

Despite both teams efforts, the final score remained 1-1 and FGR are still the only unbeaten team in the EFL.


Rednock School

My name is Brendan; I attend Pate’s in Cheltenham. Being an ambassador is incredibly fun with so many perks to the role. Only two weeks ago, I was part of the filming for the Fit2Last scheme which is aimed to benefit and connect to the local community.

Before the game, I was selling programmes under the shelter of the stadium in the bitter cold, wet and windy weather. Despite this, there was strong attendance for both sides giving the atmosphere of a local derby.

Forest Green were the stronger of the two teams with Carl Winchester hitting the inside of the post within 15 minutes.

Only three minutes later, the ball was played across the park with Dayle Grubb making a darting run down the left-hand side. He fizzed the ball across goal and it connected with a sliding defender to shoot it up into the roof of the net.

Then the visitors started to pressure our back line, testing Robert Sanchez numerous times before Padraig Amond curled the ball into the bottom left of goal around a defender from short range.

Then, once again, the Rovers went onto the attack. The ball was sent into Reuben Reid’s feet; the striker proceeded to spin whilst releasing the shot which connected with the crossbar.

With both sides going into the break with a goal apiece, it was anybody’s game when the second half resumed.

Each team had separate chances, but both were ended by the keepers. Then, immediately from a corner which Forest Green struggled to clear, a shot was put wide by Newport, but Reid was adjudged to have handled the shot wide.

The following penalty was blazed over the crossbar, sending the ball to ‘Minchinhampton Common’ in the words of Bob Hunt (BBC Radio Gloucestershire). Both teams went home with a well-deserved point.


Pate's School