Conor Shaw
Saturday 21 November 2020

Nicky Cadden's late equaliser secured a point for Forest Green on the road at Barrow in League Two.

Straight from kick-off, David Dunn’s side looked to take control of the encounter – and within the opening five minutes, thought they had edged into an early lead. Scott Quigley picked up the through ball in the penalty area – before turning sharply and firing beyond Luke McGee, but the visitors were saved by the offside flag.

The visitors began to grow into the match – and started to forge opportunities for themselves. Jake Young picked up the knock down from strike partner Jamille Matt and raced into the box. The former Sheffield United man picked out Carl Winchester from the by-line – but the Rovers skipper saw his strike blocked off the line by Sam Hird.

Young was perhaps unfortunate not to find the back of the net himself with fifteen minutes remaining in the first half. Odin Bailey shielded the ball from danger, before feeding the ball through for the 19-year-old striker who saw his effort cannon off the upright – and cleared from the feet of Matt.

Just moments were left of the first half when Young caused more problems for the Bluebirds defence. The youngster raced through on goal from the half-way line, beating three players in the process – and fired his dipping strike from range onto the crossbar, leaving Joel Dixon stranded.

Mark Cooper’s charges raced into the second half – and duly took the lead as a reward for their efforts. Nicky Cadden looked to pick out Elliott Whitehouse on a run to the near post – and the Rovers midfielder delivered with a perfectly executed header beyond Dixon.

Barrow were eager to look for a response – and found the back of the next through former Rovers man Luke James. Substitute Connor Brown delivered a cross from the left-flank, finding James in space inside the area to fire his strike into the back of the net.=

Within the closing ten minutes at Holker Street, the home side turned the game around and took the lead. Harrison Biggins was adjudged to have been fouled in the penalty area by Jordan Moore-Taylor, and referee Chris Sarginson pointed to the spot. Dior Angus stepped up from 12-yards and calmly fired beyond McGee.

Deep into added time and Rovers were searching for an equaliser - and in the very final moments of the game , they delivered. Cadden shaped up to shoot from his 20-yard free-kick - and his superb curling effort struck the underside of the bar, before bouncing into the roof of the net to secure a point for Rovers.

Barrow XI: Dixon, Brough, Taylor, Platt, Hird, Jones, Quigley (Angus 75), Ntlhe (Brown 53), Biggins, Barry, James.

Unused subs: Lillis, Wilson, Taylor, Reid.

Forest Green XI: McGee, Kitching, Winchester, Adams, Cadden, Matt, Bailey (Moore-Taylor 60), Young, Whitehouse (Collins 77), Godwin-Malife, Richardson (Stevens 90).

Unused subs: Thomas, Wilson, Sweeney, Stokes.

Referee: Chris Sarginson