Connor Laing
Thursday 29 November 2018

Forest Green Ladies were denied any points despite a very encouraging performance against high-flying Keynsham Town Development.

Craig Darkin’s side scored twice through Ash Watson and Kacie Anderson but succumb to a 4-2 defeat at Kingsway Sports Pavilion on Sunday.

The result moves Keynsham up to first in the South West Womens Regional Premier Division while FGR stay in ninth.

The first goal went the way of the visiting team inside just two minutes but did have an element of luck to it.

The ball was crossed in from the right-hand side before deflecting off of a combination of defender Zoe Ibbotson and a Keynsham attacker before dribbling into the far corner.

The home team replied almost instantaneously through skipper Watson. The midfielder turned cleverly inside the area before firing the ball into the top right corner with her left foot.

The rest of the first half was extremely even and competitive as both teams pushed to get back on top.

Keynsham began the second period the stronger of the two sides, with FGR goalkeeper Becca Woods was forced into a couple of good saves in the first ten minutes.

The away team did regain the lead on 57 minutes when Hannah Sims cut inside on her right foot before coolly slotting past Woods into the bottom-right corner.

However, Rovers replied again just five minutes later, this time through a brilliant individual run and finish by Kacie Anderson.

The youngster turned her defender with a clever flick 40 yards from goal before taking the ball past another player and putting the ball into the back of the net.

Keynsham then took it up a gear and started mounting pressure on Woods in the FGR goal, forcing her into a few more brilliant saves.

However, she couldn’t keep them out for too long as they took the lead again in the 73rd minute when Rhianna Ben-Carew's lofted ball over Woods from the right-hand side went straight into the goal. It may not have been intentional but it restored their lead nonetheless.

Liberty Sims put the game out of reach about ten minutes later when she put the finishing touch on a well-worked move for the visitors, converting nicely at the near post.

This goal killed the game as a contest. Keynsham almost extended the lead with just a few minutes left when Ash Watson was forced to clear a header off the line but the scoreline didn’t change.

Rovers’ next match is at Kingsway again when they host Marine Academy Plymouth Ladies on Sunday, December 2, at 2pm.