Matt Edwards
Tuesday 04 December 2018

Forest Green Rovers were edged out 2-1 in their Central League fixture away at Plymouth Argyle in an entertaining game of football.

Gregg Wylde and Lionel Ainsworth both scored for the hosts in the final 25 minutes of the game, with Tahvon Campbell scoring late on for Forest Green.

The game saw a return from injury for both Liam Shephard and Lee Collins as both returned from their respective knee injuries to start the fixture.

FGR started the match well and were on the front foot from the off, forcing two early corners, the latter being flicked on by the head of Isaac Pearce with Collins waiting to pounce behind.

Plymouth created their first chance of the game in the 13th minute when Ryan Edwards showed good strength to shake off the challenge of Pearce but his low, inviting delivery into the six-yard box was not capitalised on by the Pilgrims.

A minute later and it was the woodwork coming to the hosts’ rescue as George Williams lined up a free-kick from 30 yards out and despite beating Kyle Letheren in the Plymouth goal, he was denied by the upright.

It was the post coming the Plymouth’s saviour again in the 35th minute as, this time, Scott Laird took aim from a similar distance to the one earlier but to the right and he dipped it over the wall but struck the foot of the post.

Plymouth had the ball in the back of the net on the stroke of half time as Ryan Edwards’ head connected well with Ruben Lameira’s free-kick to beat Robert Sanchez but the linesman’s flag denied him.

The hosts had their best chance of the game in the 51st minute when Luke Jephcott shows his pace down the right as Plymouth broke with numbers from an FGR free-kick before delivering into the box.

Sam Hendy couldn’t clear in the middle but made amends as he got back on the line to deny Ryan Taylor, who had a second and third bite of the cherry but FGR were able to defend.

Shephard was brought off after an hour, replaced by Will Turner from the Under 18s.

The hosts took the lead in the 67th minute when Wylde was played into space down the left and despite the best attempts of a sliding Collins in the box, was able to poke the ball home from the angle into the far corner.

Rovers looked to reply almost immediately when George Williams curled a ball into the six-yard box but Campbell wasn’t able to get the telling touch that would have certainly led to an equaliser.

Plymouth doubled their lead in the 82nd minute when substitute Ainsworth beat the offside trap as he was thread through the middle and with only Sanchez to beat, he finished low to the keeper's right.

Campbell was able to pull a goal back in the 87th minute when he hit a fine strike from the edge of the box to bet Kyle Letheren but it proved to just be a consolation.