Connor Laing
Wednesday 13 March 2019

Forest Green Ladies fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat away to Middlezoy Rovers on a blustery Sunday afternoon.

Goalkeeper Becca Woods gave away a penalty in the very early stages of the game after a mistake which Georgia Coles converted for the hosts to secure the tight victory.

The result means that FGR stay second from bottom in tenth and Middlezoy also remain in their position of sixth.

The away team made a slow start and Middlezoy pressed a makeshift FGR defence into a costly mistake after just two minutes.

The ball was played back to goalkeeper Becca Woods before she was closed down. Woods’ heavy touch then presented a chance for the attacker to win the ball and in an attempt to win the ball back, Woods fouled the attacker to concede the spot kick.

Coles stepped up and scored for the hosts to give them the advantage after just three minutes.

FGR slowly gained their footing in a match which had hugely difficult weather conditions throughout.

However, after 14 minutes, Middlezoy’s striker, who wore number 18 on the day, came very close to adding a second. She turned Bethany Freeman with a clever flick before seeing her half-volley cannon back out off the crossbar.

The away side’s first real chance of note came in the 24th minute when in-form striker Holly Thomas saw her effort from the edge of the area saved well down to her left-hand side by the Middlezoy goalkeeper.

With about 10 minutes left to play in the half, the number 18 had another big chance when she was one-on-one with Woods but her poked attempt was straight at the FGR keeper.

The second half began and finished in a similar way to how the first ended. It was a scrappy affair which was mostly played in the middle third.

Thomas did try to create something 10 minutes in after an excellent run down the right-hand side but her cross somehow evaded everyone in the Middlezoy six-yard box.

The number 18 continued to be a threat for the home side but, in the second half, it was more often than not through counter-attacks.

FGR tried to push in the latter stages with the best opportunity coming to Monika Kisicka with 10 minutes to go. The midfielder cut in from the left-hand side and had a shot but the Middlezoy player was alert and made a good stop at her near post.

Countering from the chance, the Middlezoy number 18 had possibly her best chance of the game after 65 minutes. However, after having lots of time to think about another one-on-one scenario, she blasted the ball over the bar.

The ladies’ next match is away at Portishead Ladies on Sunday, March 17.