Matt Edwards
Wednesday 17 July 2019

Five second-half goals from League Two side Forest Green Rovers saw them secure a 6-1 victory over Yate Town.

On a beautiful summer evening in South Gloucestershire, the game took no time at all to grab the attention as Aaron Collins and Yate’s Olly Mehew had both found the back of the net after 10 minutes.

Both sides went in level but the league side were able to stamp their authority on proceedings in the second half as braces from Joseph Mills and George Williams, as well as a strike from Junior Mondal wrapped up the pre-season friendly.

It took less than three minutes for the visitors to find the back of the net as Collins collected the ball on the edge of the box and nonchalantly nudged the ball past his man before curling his effort low into the far corner.

Matt Mills saw a chance to double the lead after just three minutes later when his side foot connected with a low corner in from the right, but a good save from Adam Forster denied him.

The action continued to come thick and fast, this time at the other end as Yate intercepted the ball in the middle of the park and Nick Peare distributed it to Mehew on the left corner of the box, who took a touch inside before curling well into the opposite corner.

Yate kept the pressure on with a succession of corners that were dealt with by the Rovers backline, the latter seeing Yate skipper Peare attempt an effort on goal that was always curling wide.

The game began to settle down with a free-kick in the 29th minute the next opportunity for Forest Green to test Forster in the opposite goal.

From ‘Newport-range’, Williams lined up the set-piece, only to see his effort tipped onto the bar superbly by the Yate stopper.

Mehew continued to provide a threat against his former side and it was he who broke down the left in the 34th minute and provided a nice ball across the face of goal, with James Morton getting back to make a vital interception with Jake Lee looking poaching at the back stick.

Shawn McCoulsky had the chance to restore the visitor’s advantage seven minutes before the break as he latched onto a delightful through ball from midfield, but he could only fire wide of the target.

A free-kick was the first of the chances as the second half got under way, with Joseph Mills standing over the set-piece just outside the Yate box but his thunderous hit rose just over the bar three minutes in.

With Yate threatening to take the lead at the other end through Mehew, it was Forest Green that got their noses back in front in the 57th minute.

A swift move saw FGR move to inside Yate’s and Welshman Williams was able to get his account for the summer up and running.

He worked some space for himself in a crowded box and his shot on the turn had too much power on it for Forster.

Mark Cooper made five changes on the hour and it took less than six minutes for one of them, Mondal, to make his mark on proceedings.

Fellow sub Dayle Grubb slotted the ball through to Nathan McGinley, who entered the fray at the break, and he was able to cut the ball back to Mondal inside the area who finished well into the bottom right corner.

Williams won himself a free-kick in the 75th minute and Joseph Mills stepped up and deceived the Yate goalkeeper as he lifted the ball over the wall and inside the near post to put FGR in control.

Less then two minutes later and it was five as Forest Green countered superbly through the middle and Mondal spread the ball out to Willism on the right, who drilled his low effort into the bottom left corner.

The final goal of proceedings had some fortune about it as Joseph Mills bust a gut to get to a ball at near the byline and his cross in from the left looped kindly into the far corner.

Jake Lee went close from 30 yards out for the hosts but it turned into a comfortable evening for Forest Green who maintained their unbeaten start to pre-season and now face Salisbury away on Saturday, 3pm.