Noah Dougherty
Saturday 26 January 2019

Another impressive Forest Green Rovers display saw them completed a 2-0 win over Stevenage at The Lamex Stadium.

Goals from Liam Shephard and Christian Doidge were enough for Rovers as they continued their impressive track record on the road where they haven’t been beaten since November 3.

There was one change to the side that beat Grimsby Town in midweek with Lloyd James coming back into the starting XI in place of Paul Digby, who dropped to the bench.

A bright start from Forest Green could have seen them take the lead as early as three minutes into the encounter as Gavin Gunning flicked a corner towards the back post but nobody was there to stab the loose ball home.

Shortly before the 10-minute mark Doidge had his first sighter of the afternoon, flashing a bouncing ball over the bar with his left foot after a nice flick on from his strike partner George Williams.

In the game’s 13th minute, Forest Green took a deserved lead. Gunning’s quick free-kick found Mills on the left and his ball into Williams allowed the striker to take the ball around the outside of the six-yard box before cutting a cross back to Shephard who slid home his fourth goal of the season.

A diagonal ball into the Rovers area after 34 minutes saw Alex Revell climb highest but he could only head the ball wide of James Montgomery’s far post.

A low strike from Reece Brown with a little more than 10 minutes of the half to play looked to trouble Paul Farman, but the Stevenage stopper got down well to make what turned out to be a comfortable save.

The final chance of the half came the way of the hosts but the free-kick in from the left sailed past the heads of everyone in red and white.

Eager to turn the game around, Boro were faster out of the gate in the second half and Alex Reid could well have given them the lead as he raced through on goal, but Montgomery spread himself well to block the shot.

With 55 minutes on the clock though, FGR doubled their lead. Brown flicked a deft ball into the area for Williams to chase and although Farman make a great save to deny his initial shot, Doidge was on hand to nod the rebound into an unguarded net.

Rovers almost had a third just minutes later as Brown’s first-time effort struck the post before bouncing off the helpless Farman and somehow staying out.

Stevenage continued to apply pressure on the Rovers backline but remained unable to penetrate, Montgomery being forced to save from Revell after a Boro free-kick.

Three minutes from time Revell could have pulled one back for Stevnage but his flick was well saved by Montgomery.

Stevenage XI: Farman, James-Wildin, Hunt, Timlin, Cuthbert, Ball (Reid 46’), Byrom, Revell, Kennedy, Makasi (Sonupe 73’), Nugent

Unused subs: Byrne, Vancooten, Iontton, Henry, Wilkinson

Forest Green Rovers XI: Montgomery, Shephard, James, Rawson, Winchester (Digby 72’), Doidge, Brown, Williams (Mondal 77’), Gunning, McGinley, Mills

Unused subs: Ward, Collins, Campbell, McCoulsky, Reid

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Man of the Match: Lloyd James