Matt Edwards
Monday 11 February 2019

You may have noticed that in our special eight-page pullout in our matchday programme that our fantastic Ambassadors Scheme has two pages dedicated to it.

Our young fans, who champion the club at schools across Gloucestershire, quiz the players, answer questions themselves and even write match reports.

Unfortunately, not all the fantastic reports can make it into the programme, so Ambassador's Corner is a chance to show off their talents and give a kid's eye view of our last game with Morecambe.


Before the game, I was selling programmes on the main gate and it was a great experience, just being able to have conversations with the away supporters about their season so far, something which I don’t usually get the opportunity to.

 The game started off with an early Notts County dominance where they had a couple of breakaways and shots on target which were met by debutant, Lewis Ward. From the off, I thought that he was a great addition to the team and he looked to be a promising player.

After around the ten-minute mark the playing cards switched and Forest Green had a few slower build ups in their half and started to look dangerous until Notts County goalkeeper, Schofield, swept them up and smothered the chances. The first half was then very much an end to end game and, to be honest, it looked as if either team could take the points.

At half time I had my usual curry sauce and chips. Second half began and from the whistle Forest Green looked much more attacking than the first half.

A few early chances were ended by a counter-attack goal by Jim O’Brien in the 57th minute.

Since that goal, Forest Green played the ball around in the Notts end and earnt themselves a free-kick on the edge of the box after the keeper handled the ball outside the area.

Joseph Mills stepped up to take it and hit it through the wall and into the bottom left hand corner. What a goal!

In the 67th minute, George Williams came on and looked to be exactly what we needed as he got a breakthrough and scored, only to the realisation of the offside flag.

The tie, however, was short lived as in the 77th minute Boldewijn scored an absolute screamer cutting in from the left wing and launching a right foot rocket into the top right-hand corner.

A very disappointing end to what we thought would be walkaway victory. Come on Rovers against Swindon!