Matt Edwards
Tuesday 30 April 2019

Forest Green Rovers ended their Central League campaign with a 3-2 win at home to Plymouth Argyle.

Dan Rooney put the visitors ahead after just 13 minutes but FGR were able to peg them back seven minutes before the break through Sam Hendy.

Rovers took control of proceedings in the second half and were deservedly ahead as Dan Ogunleye and Oliver Artwell both struck within five minutes of each other.

Plymouth pulled a goal back through Luke Jephcott with 15 minutes to go but Forest Green were able to see out the victory.

With both sides left with plenty to play for in their respective league campaigns, two young teams were pitted against each other at Stanley Park.

It was a cagey start to the game, played in glorious sunshine, but the visitors dealt the first blow.

Will Turner was able to head clear a corner at the front post in the 13th minute but the ball was played straight back in to Rooney, who was able to take a touch before finishing with the aid of the far post from a tight angle.

Chances for both teams continued to be at a premium and it took a fantastic pass from Dan Bradshaw, after FGR were able to play out from goalkeeper Lewis Thomas,, to unlock the Plymouth defence in the 38th minute.

His pass into the right channel set Artwell away, who used his pace to make it to the byline before cutting back for Hendy, who had timed his run into the six-yard-box to perfection, to slot home.

After the break, Forest Green looked in control and a five minute spell of dominance shortly after the hour mark took the game out of the reach of the visitors.

In the 65th minute, Ethan Hill got forward well from his left-back position to whip in a cross that Ogunleye got trapped under his leg before regaining his balance to prod past the hapless goalkeeper.

Rovers were in the driving seat five minutes later thanks to a superb team goal that saw them move the ball forward from the halfway line with some neat, one-touch football.

Dan Jones was then able to thread the ball through the eye of a needle for Artwell to latch onto and coolly slide under the body of the on-rushing keeper with his left foot.

A lapse in concentration saw Plymouth get a goal back with 15 minutes of the game left as the ball was turned over from an FGR throw-in and Jephcott was able to lift the ball over Thomas from 25 yards out.

Forest Green Rovers XI: Lewis Thomas, Alfie Saunders (Destiny Oladipo 82’), Ethan Hill, Sam Hendy, Will Turner, Isaiah Jones (Rendijs Kalnins 75’), Oliver Artwell, Dan Bradshaw (Lewis Spurrier 61’), Dan Ogunleye, Dan Jones (Elias Youssef 71’), Jay Malshanskyj

Unused subs: Declan Lehmann

Plymouth Argyle XI: Tyler Coombes, Isaac Burdon, Harry Hodges (Rio Garside 45’), Adam Randall, Michael Peck, Oliver Tomlinson, Aaron Goulty (Jarvis Cleal 89’), Dan Rooney, Klaidi Lolos, Cameron Sangster, Luke Jephcott

Unused subs: Harry Townsend, Tom Purkington, Andy Burn