Noah Dougherty
Saturday 13 April 2019

Forest Green Rovers earned another important three points as they ran out 2-0 winners over Macclesfield Town at The New Lawn.

Christian Doidge notched his 12th FGR goal of the season after 56 minutes before Joseph Mills doubled his side's lead two minutes from time as Rovers claimed back-to-back wins.

There were two changes to the side that beat Crawley Town the Saturday before, with Lee Collins and Junior Mondal coming in to replace Gavin Gunning and Paul Digby, who picked up an injury.

James Montgomery also missed out on making the squad with injury, with Lewis Thomas taking his place.

Neither side were able to get a clear foothold on the opening exchanges, Macclesfield being limited to mere sighters while Rovers also struggled to carve out a chance.

After 19 minutes the visitors had an opportunity to open the scoring in style as a long corner was hooked back into the box by Fiacre Kelleher to Elliott Durrell whose bicycle kick was well blocked by the chest of Shephard.

A chance did come the way of the hosts after 22 minutes as Reece Brown picked up a loose ball outside the area before sweeping it into the feet of Doidge with his back to goal. The striker’s lay-off sat up nicely for George Williams but he couldn’t keep his left-footed effort on target.

Junior Mondal, who started the game very brightly, had an opportunity to open the scoring just after the half hour mark as he drove inside and fired at goal, but his wobbling effort flew wide.

On only his fourth league start, Mondal was again amongst the action a few minutes later as he fired at goal once more. This time, his vicious strike dropped just over Kieran O’Hara’s crossbar.

A 45th minute free-kick from Mills could have seen the perfect end to the half for Rovers but his low drive flashed inches wide of the far post.

Junior Mondal vs Macclesfield Town

Both sides were able to get shots away early on the second half, Michael Rose trying his luck from the edge of the area after 49 minutes, but he could only watch as his curling striker flew over.

One minute later, Doidge tried to test the keeper at the other end, but his shot also fizzed just over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken after 56 minutes as Mills whipped a low free-kick into the area from deep and Doidge was on hand to deftly flick the ball behind himself and into the bottom corner.

With 20 minutes to play, FGR could have had a second as Gavin Gunning flicked a Brown free-kick into the area but Farrend Rawson couldn’t stab the ball home.

Mondal had another opportunity after 74 minutes as he was cleverly played in by Doidge but a last-ditch tackle stopped him from getting a shot away.

Having been the provider for the first goal, Mills was on hand to add a second after 88 minutes as he drove a 26-yard free-kick into the bottom corner to cap off an important three points.

Forest Green Rovers XI: Ward, Shephard, Collins (James 90'), Rawson, Winchester, Doidge, Brown, Williams (Gunning 67’), McGinley, Mills, Mondal (McCoulsky 82')

Unused subs: Thomas, Pearce, Godwin-Malife, Reid

Macclesfield Town XI: O'Hara, Fitzpatrick, Kelleher, Durrell, Smith, Welch-Hayes, Stephens, Rose (Whitaker 58’), Cameron, Cole (Wilson 76’), Jules

Unused subs: Idem, Grimes, Marsh, Evans, Martis

Referee: Craig Hicks

Attendance: 2,386 (170 away)

Man of the Match: Carl Winchester

Match sponsor: First Base

Ball Sponsor: Dragon Alfa Cement