Connor Laing
Wednesday 17 April 2019

Forest Green lost 2-0 to Portishead Town Ladies at Kingsway Sports Pavilion in the last match of their 2018/19 South West Women’s Regional Premier Division campaign.

The away team scored one in either half of a game which didn’t have much in it between to two sides.

The result means that Forest Green finish the season in tenth position in the division while Portishead ended up in seventh.

Forest Green made a good start to the game as they seemed to get a good control over proceedings. Holly Thomas lead a dangerous attack after seven minutes but her attempted pass to Paige Todd was cut out by a defender.

Six minutes later, it was Portishead who took the lead. A clever and quick corner routine caught the Rovers defence off guard before their number 17 tucked the ball away from six yards out.

The rest of the first half was limited to very few half-chances for both teams.

Four minutes into the second period some of the visiting side thought they had doubled their lead as a venomous shot from their number 10 crashed off the underside of the bar. The ball, according to the officials, didn’t cross the line however.

Sian Towler came close for the hosts ten minutes later when her shot from the edge of the area deflected just wide of the left post.

Most of the second half was contained to the middle third of the pitch but there were a couple of attempts from range from both sides but nothing that troubled either keeper.

It wasn’t until fifteen minutes to go when the second goal of the game arrived. Unfortunately for Rovers it went to Portishead and their number 10. She again found space on the right-hand side but this time finished the ball confidently at the near post past Woods.

Kacie Anderson was a constant threat for the home team throughout the game and was the centre of attacks in the right-hand side for Rovers in the last ten minutes whilst they tried to find a way back into the game.

The winger had a very speculative effort from 30 yards out in the 79th minute but the looping shot was tipped wide by the Portishead keeper. A few minutes later she had a great opportunity to cross the ball into a dangerous area but the ball somehow evaded everyone and the post to go behind for a goal kick.

Woods was called into action on a couple of occasions in the last few minutes. She reacted well to a shot on the left-hand side before smothering another attempt before full-time.