Noah Dougherty
Wednesday 25 July 2018

Forest Green Rovers ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at Hereford’s Edgar Street thanks to another Reuben Reid brace, his second of pre-season.

A 21st minute strike from Farrend Rawson and two second-half goals from Reid was enough to claim the victory for FGR despite a strike from Harry White at the other end.

As the sun beat down on Edgar Lane and the temperature remained well above 20 degrees, both sides started in a laid back fashion and it took a quarter of an hour for Rovers to fashion their first noteworthy chance.

Lloyd James played a well-disguised ball in behind the Bull’s defence but although Christian Doidge was able to work the ball back to the edge of the area, Reid was unable to generate enough power on his shot to trouble the goalkeeper.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Liam Shephard did well down the right to get the ball under control and deliver an excellent cross towards Doidge who was unlucky to see Jordan Liburd rush in front of him to nod the ball behind for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, James delivered an excellent ball to the back post and Reid’s powerful header was denied in some style by a triallist goalkeeper before the ball eventually fell to Rawson via Reece Brown, with the former lashing home from inside the area.

The Rovers goal seemed to stir the hosts into life somewhat and just 10 minutes later Robert Sanchez was called into action for the first time. Hereford striker White did well to win the ball back in the area before testing Sanchez from 12 yards out but the FGR keeper saved well with his body.

The rest of the first half and the beginning of the second played out relatively uneventfully but with 51 minutes on the clock, The Bulls found an equaliser.

White received the ball on the right-hand side and did really well to beat the challenge of James before charging into the box, cutting past the sliding Rawson, and firing past Sanchez into the corner.

With the hosts now back on level terms, the game seemed to spark into life and the introduction of Tahvon Campbell, George Williams and a host of others from the bench playing a part. With 71 minutes played, Campbell, who has been suffering with a knock since the training camp in Devon, battled well down the left before his cross was blocked behind for a corner.

Williams was on hand to deliver the corner to the back post where Reid rose highest and powered home with his head to restore FGR’s lead.

Rovers continued to press the hosts and just seven minutes later Reid buried his second of the night. Hereford were caught in possession in their defensive third and Reid was able to race forward and calmly slot home despite Williams’ calls for him to play the square pass.

In the closing minutes FGR managed to keep their opponents reasonably quiet and ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at Edgar Street.

PICS : Shane Healey / Pro Sport Images